The Department and Graduate Institute of Pathology already have fine reputation in the study of hepatoma, nasopharyngeal carcinoma, malignant lymphoma and other diseases for many years. With these bases, we will develop more researches in the molecular and cellular levels, and study the tumorigenesis, the transforming processes, the biological behavior of tumor cells and the drug resistance mechanism.
The antecedent of the Department of Pathology was the Classroom of Pathology, College of Medicine, Taihoku (Taipei) Imperial University. After the World War II in 1945, it was renamed as Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University. The Institute of Pathology was established in June, 1947. Department and Graduate Institute of Pathology moved into University Hospital in 1953. Department of Pathology of National Taiwan University Hospital was then established in 1954. The combined unit has become a very special department and provides teaching, research, and service. The Ph.D. program has been established since Sep 1969.
1. We’ve established 9 cell lines of Taiwanese nasopharyngeal carcinoma, and these cell lines have been carefully well characterized.
2. Molecular pathology in hepatoma, especially behavior of tumor suppressor gene p53 and beta-catenin.
3. Professor Chin-Tarng Lin got 2 patents in cooperation with the part-time assistant professor, Han-Chung Wu:
(1) A novel peptide targeting to nasopharyngeal carcinoma for targeted therapy. (July 01, 2003, Application number : # 92117944.)
(2) Nucleolin antisense treatment suppresses growth of nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells. (July 30, 2003, Application number : # 92120792.)
4. The SARS erupted in 2003. We joined in autopsy, and studied the mechanism and pathological changes of SARS.
Our teachers have expertise in various clinical and pathological fields. We emphasize the researches on pathogenic mechanism of disease that frequently found in this country, molecular pathology, and tumor biology. Besides teaching the medical students basic knowledge of pathology, we also educate paramedical personnel and teachers basic concepts of disease, hoping them to promote greatly the level of pathological studies.