Since the neurology department isolated from neurology-psychology department in 1980, the neurology in Taiwan was under great progress. There are four main subspecials in our neurology department, including general neurology, cerebral-vascular, neuromuscular and neurophysiological neurology. We not only offer treatment for patients, but also study basic science of neurological diseases.
The neurology-psychology department of NTUH was set up in 1947. After 1970's when our Professor Hong Zupei returned from England, clinical neurology began to develop. After the neurology department isolated from neurology-psychology department in 1980's, we have made much effort to study the science of neurology and cooperated with physiology, anatomy, pharmacology and immunology departments. We also set up associations for diseases such as multiple sclerosis and epilepsy, which have arranged lectures for patients regularly.
Epilepsy and neuropharmacology
Parkinsonism and movement disorder, neuropharmacology and neurochemistry.
Diagnosis and treatment of peripheral nuropathy, neuropathic pain and nerve regeneration
Epilepsy and neuropharmacology
Neurophysiological examination, cognitive neurology and dementia
Cerebrovascular disease, duplex examination, and neurological epidemiology
Clinical Assistant Professor
Cognitive neurology and dementia
Adjunct Assistant Professor
Parkinsonism, movement disorder, and deep brain stimulation
Hereditary neurological disease (genetic diagnosis and consultation)
Clinical electrophysiology and electrodiagnosis, movement disorders, epilepsy
1. The studies of Professor Chung-Chin Kuo about control mehanism and pharacological effect of ion channels on neuronal membrane were published on Anesthesiology (2011), Journal of clinical investigation (2011), etc.
2. The study results of Professor Ruey-Meei Wu, Assistant Professor Chun-Hwei Tai and Chin-Hsien Lin about genotypes LRRK2, HTRA2 and Parkinson's disease were published on Human Genetics (2011), Parkinsonism and related Disorder (2011).
3. The papers of Professor Horng-Huei Liou about genetics and pharmacological effect of antiepileptic agents were published on Pharmacogenetics (2011),J Eval Clin Pract (2008), etc.
4. Associate Professor Ming-Jang Chiu studied of cognitive function and dementia by animal models and populational survey, and the results were published in Neurodegenerative Diseases (2011) and J Alzheimers Dis (2010), etc.
5. Associate Professor Jiann-Shing Jeng and Lecturer Sung-Chun Tang studied about epidemiology, life quality and RAGE in stroke, and these results were accepted in Stroke (2011), Archives Of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (2011), etc.
6. The study results of Professor Sung-Tsang Hsieh and Assistant Professor Chi-Chao Chao about diabetic neuropathy and amyloid neuropathy were published in Diabetes Care(2010), Neurology(2010), etc。
1. Residentship: There are case discussions every week, journal reading twice in a month, and combined conference with neurosurgery and neuroradiology department every week. We also arrange lectures for special topics or study result aperiodically, and join combined monthly neurology meeting of Taiwan.
2. Internship: The interns take care of the patients under the back-up of senior residents, and join combined conference with neurosurgery and neuroradiology department every week.
3. Clerkship: The clerkship has clinical learning programs in the neurology department for 3 weeks. There is one attending physician responsible for teaching in every group of students. Students learn to diagnose disease for outpatients and discuss with attending physicians. In the neurology ward, every student has to take care of one inpatient and discuss with the attending physician about diagnosis and treatment of the patient.
Maintainer: Shin-Joe Yeh, update on 2013-01-15, TEL: ext 63280