about
Brief History

In 1945, when Taiwan was restored to the Repubilic of China at the end of the World War II, the Government took over the former Taihoku (Taipei) Imperial University and reorganized it according to our University Law into the National Taiwan University; the Faculty of Medicine became one of the six colleges; namely, the Colleges of Arts, Science, Law, Medicine, Engineering and Agriculture.

Soon after the retrocession of Taiwan in 1945, the former Japanese teaching system was replaced with the system set by our government. To raise the standard of medical education, the one-year premedical course was increased to two years in 1949. Thus, the medical course, leading to the degree of Doctor of Medicine (Bachelor of Medicine before 1991), consists of 7 years of study, including 2 years of premedical, 4 years of medical courses and 1 year of rotating internship.

During the War, the buildings of the College of Medicine and its teaching hospital ( National Taiwan University Hospital ) were severely damaged by air raids. Most of the facilities were found to be out of order. In 1951, the United States Aid Missions to China began donating funds for the rehabilitation and reconstruction of the damaged buildings, for the purchase of scientific equipments and teaching facilities, for sending faculty members and nurses to the U.S. for further studies, and for inviting American consultants to the College to improve its teaching and research.

Other agencies that had extended their assistance to the College are The China Medical Board of New Youk, Inc., The American Bureau for Medical Advancement in China , and The World Health Organization. These agencies awarded a number of fellowships to the faculty members and nurses of the College for studying abroad. The China Medical Board donated funds for purchasing scientific equipments and books and for securing visiting professors from the United States . The World Health Organization initiated several programs to help improve our education in nursing, public health and mental health.

With substantial improvement of the laboratory and library facilities, and with the recommendations of the American consultants, the curriculum for medical students was reorganized, and the teaching methods were changed. The number of hours for lectures was reduced, while the time allotted to laboratory exercises and bed-side teaching was increased. The so-called “Block System” or “Clerkship” was adopted in 1952.

To meet the urgent needs of our country, the following schools of allied health sciences were established within the Medical College . These schools have been sharing almost all of the teaching staff and facilities of the College.

School of Pharmacy , a 4-year course (since 1953)

School of Dentistry , a 6-year course (since 1955)

School of Nursing , a 4-year course (since 1956)

School of Medical Technology , a 4-year course (since 1956)

School of Rehabilitation Medicine , a 4-year couse (1967 to 1992)

a.Division of Physical Therapy (1967 to 1992)

b.Division of Occupational Therapy (1970 to 1992)

School of Public Health , a 4-year course (1972 to 1993)

Post-Baccalaureate Medical Program, a 5-year course (1982 to 1985)

School of Physical Therapy , a 4-year course (since 1992)

School of Occupational Therapy , a 4-year course (since 1992)

Among them, School of Rehabilitation was divided into School of Physical Therapy and School of Occupational Therapy in 1992; School of Public Health was incorporated into the College of Public Health which was established in 1993; the Post-Baccalaureate Medical Program lasted for three years only.

In addition to the seven schools, nineteen graduate institutes and three research centers as well as the Laboratory Animal Center were established since 1947 in the College of Medicine for the development of advanced study in various medical sciences and for the promotion of research level of the related fields.

Among them, the Institute of Clinical Medicine receives only medical graduates; the Institute of Clinical Dentistry only accepts dental graduates; the Institute of Biomedical Engineering was established jointly with the College of Engineering in 1998.

The three research centers are Center for Optoelectronic Biomedicine (established as Laser Medicine Research Center in 1987 and renamed in August, 2000), Cancer Research Center (established in February, 2000) and Drug Research Center (established in April, 2001). The Laboratory Animal Center was established in 1990.

Graduate Institute Programs offered established year
Physiology
MS(1947)
PhD(1989)
Pathology
MS(1947)
PhD(1969)
Pharmacology
MS(1962)
PhD(1967)
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
MS(1962)
PhD(1967)
Microbiology
MS(1965)
PhD(1986)
Anatomy and Cell Biology
MS(1969)
PhD(1986)
Pharmaceutical Sciences
MS(1970)
PhD(1983)
Clinical Medicine
MS(2000)
PhD(1978)
Nursing
MS(1984)
PhD(1997)
Clinical Laboratory Sciences and Medical Biotechnolgy
MS(1987)
PhD(2002)
Clinical Dentistry
MS(1988)
PhD(1989)
Toxicology
MS(1990)
PhD(1993)
Molecular Medicine
MS(1992)
PhD(1992)
Immunology
MS(1993)
PhD(1996)
Physical Therapy
MS(1997)
PhD(2004)
Oral Biology
MS(1997)
Biomedical Engineering
MS(1998)
Clinical Pharmacy
MS(2000)
Occupational Therapy
MS(2002)
Forensic Medicine
MS(2004)

The College is led by the Dean. Its organization includes teaching and research units (7 schools, 27 departments, 19 graduate institutes and 3 research centers), administrative offices (Office of Academic Affairs, Office of Student Affairs, Office of Medical Education, Office of Medical Research and Development, Office of Medical Informatics and Laboratory Animal Center), supportive offices (Dean's Office, Secretariat, Personnel Office, Accounting Office, General Affairs Office and Medical Library) and subordinate institutions (National Taiwan University Hospital and Preparatory Office of the Children's Hospital). College senate sets its organization, rules and regulations as well as teaching and research development programs made at meetings or committees of different levels. The related administrative and supportive offices are responsible for the implementation of the resolutions.


Warning: main(WLInsert.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\XMS\www\main.php on line 147

Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening 'WLInsert.php' for inclusion (include_path='.;c:\php4\pear') in C:\XMS\www\main.php on line 147